Who couldn’t use another place to store and sort your stuff? This little catchall is the perfect place to drop your keys, cell phone, and wallet by the door (bonus- never lose your keys again on the way out the door!). Or keep this catchall in your office to store gathered business cards, paint swatches, pieces of fabric or any other little bits or pieces you want to keep in view but don’t quite have a place for. Using a nice piece of leather hide and adding a pop of color with paint really makes this project pop!
- cutting mat (optional)
- straight edge with measure
- rotary cutter (optional)
- sewing scissors
- embroidery thread
- heavy duty hand sewing needle
- paint brush
- acrylic paint
1. Start by laying out your leather and measuring out a square. Here we made a large catchall (using a 12 inch x 12 inch square) but anything approximately 6 inches-12 inches will make a good sized catchall. Don’t limit your project to a square, opt for a rectangular shape if desired! Using either your straight edge with rotary cutter and cutting mat or your scissors, cut out the leather for the catchall.
2. To create the dimensional box shape of the catchall, pinch up the corners (approximately 1-2inches in) and sew together with your embroidery thread and needle. When sewing the corners together, overlap 2 long stitches on each side to create a cross stitch and tie off in the middle. Make sure to keep the corner pinched together well during this step so that your stitches are tight. This will keep the corner pointed up well thus keeping the side of the catchall upright.
Repeat step 2 for the rest of the corners
3. Stop here or opt to add a little color to your catchall with paint and a paintbrush. Here we free handed a solid pattern in the corner.
Let your project dry and place your catchall in the perfect place to “catch all” of your stuff! On top of a dresser, on your desk, at your nightstand, or even on your coffee table! Oh the versatility! So why stop at 1 ? Make a few more for the rest of the house!